I recently ran a poll on my Twit-stream in connection with #NationalPopcornDay asking for votes for which recipe people would like to see from a selection of three. Each of the recipes used popcorn in an alternative way. Not that there’s anything wrong with just munching on a bag in front of a good movie! But you know me and how I like to mix it up a bit!
Think of this, if you will, as a “deconstructed” cheesecake. Literally flipping everything your familiar with about cheesecake on it’s head. “Salty taste in a cheesecake?”, you say, “That’s a bit unusual”. “The crumb layer is ON TOP!?!…well that’s just crazy!” Welcome to my world.
Sweet ‘n’ Salty Upside Down Cheesecake
200g Feta Cheesecake
300g Cream Cheese
130ml whipped cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
210g of sugar
120ml double cream
14g Sweet and Salty popcorn, crushed
90g digestive biscuit crumb
50g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
To make the cheesecake:
- In a stand mixer bowl, beat the feta cheese until smooth.
- Add in the cream cheese, half of the whipped cream and the salt, and mix until combined.
- Add in the remainder of the whipped cream and mix again until fully combined.
To make the caramel sauce:
- In a large saucepan, heat the sugar over a moderate heat. Continue to heat until the sugar turns a deep amber color. DO NOT STIR! If needed you can swirl the pan.
- When the deep amber color has been reached add in the butter and stir until melted.
- Once the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream. Take extra care here as adding the cream will cause the mixture to foam up and steam. Continue to whisk until the foaming subsides and the sauce is smooth.
- Leave to cool fully before proceeding.
To make the crumb topping:
- Over a medium heat melt the unsalted butter in a frying pan.
- Add in the biscuit crumb and crushed popcorn. Toss to coat in the melted butter.
- Mix in the brown sugar and stir to evenly coat.
- Continue to stir until the crumb mixture gently browns and caramelises.
- Remove the crumb mixture from the pan and allow to cool on a plate or bowl until needed.
- In an oblong pie dish, spoon the cheesecake mixture and smooth.
- Pour over the caramel sauce and spread to smooth.
- Liberally sprinkle over the crumb mixture and lightly press down.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Serve and enjoy!